The most nutrient dense superfoods are usually the darkest in colour, such as kale, spirulina, chlorella and wheatgrass and are great as a supplement to your daily diet. At Nourished Nutrition we use only the highest quality blend of 7 core superfood powders to support optimal energy and vitality. Here we profile one of these superfood powders, Spirulina.
What is Spirulina?
Spirulina is a blue-green algae that grows in tropical, pollution-free environments. It contains 18 amino acids and is high in protein, both of which are important for vitality and energy production.
How can Spirulina help?
Spirulina is incredibly rich in vitamins and minerals: more so than any other plant source on earth. Spirulina stimulates the immune system and improves its ability to fight viral and bacterial infections.
Spirulina contains the naturally occurring vitamin beta-carotene and mineral iron and chlorophyll to help protect our cells from free radicals. Spirulina is also known to be one of the richest sources of nutrients, including iron plus phytonutrients, carotenoids and chlorophyll, perfect support for a healthy immune system.
Green warrior smoothie recipe
For the smoothie
- 1 scoop of Nourish + Repair Vanilla
- ¼ cup (40g) frozen mango
- ½ banana, fresh or frozen
- ¼ avocado
- 1 large handful kale or spinach
- 2 tbsp dairy free yoghurt (or dairy yoghurt if you prefer)
- 2/3 cup almond or coconut milk (or dairy milk if you prefer)
- 1 tsp agave syrup or honey
- Cocoa nibs
- Chia seeds
- In a blender or nutribullet, add the frozen fruit, banana and avocado, then add the yoghurt and ‘Nourish + Repair’ powder, finally add the kale, sweetener and your favourite milk source.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Garnish with fresh berries and chia seeds